Friday, August 15, 2008

While summer is a time for play it is also a time for work around the farm. For some reason my horses feel that summer is also a time for them to play. So not appropriate. I have a couple of mares with their yearling fillies and one mare with her 3 month old colt (who would remain nameless but since he is so not innocent let us refer to him as Trouble with a Capital T and he very much is) that go out into a side pasture.

You would think this would be good enough for them. Hec, no they want more and by 'they' I am referring to the youngsters. I come home to find that they have crawled through my electric fence and are merrily chomping away on grass in the neighbor's 10 acres. They do not have livestock or apparently a mower of any kind so the grass is kind of tall. And by 'kind of' I mean that my almost 15h yearling filly has disappeared into the grass.

Fortunately, they all love me or their moms or perhaps the hay I put out - but at any rate they crawl back in. I get to go out and find out where my fence is discharging. I find it and decide to just redo an entire section of fence. This is not really too difficult but I needed to replace a couple of T-posts along the way. You drive in T-posts with a post pounder - basically a hunk of metal weighing quite a bit that you lift and drop repeatedly onto the T-post. Yes, I have lots of experience doing this.

So for the viewer's edification - this is a line of T-posts with electric tape on it.

This is a T-post pounder .... And this is my hand after holding and using a t-post pounder on a 95 degree day without even thinking about why my hand might be getting sore. Apparently the metal was hotter than I thought. Actually 5 blisters but one went down right away when I sort of popped it pulling on the electric tape.
Hey at least I know where I got these blisters from. I never remember where I get the bruises from. Maybe next time I will remember to put gloves on first. Nah....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WORKER'S COMP!

heh

Take care of yourself girl...we need you!