Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The wonders of remodeling big time. I got home last night to no water - zip, zilch, nada. Thought the pipes had frozen due to our very cold temps and the fact that they had opened up the back end of the house. So I put a heater in the well house and covered up the openings to under the house. Being the good farm girl that I am I took a horse bucket, broke the ice on Chance's stock tank and brought some water in to water the dogs and flush the toilet. Thought I would give it the night to see if the lights thawed out the hoses in the well house.

Woke up this morning to no such luck. Okay -fed, watered, brushed my teeth using the tiny bit of bottled water left (yep stayed on a boat too so that experience came in handy when it comes to conserving water) and got everyone ready for work and school. Left a note for my very nice contractor about the no water issue.

Got a call about 1 pm. Contractor had found the problem. A breaker had flipped but ever such a tiny bit and yes, I had checked in the pitch dark the night before. He said he had a problem seeing it in the light of day so not to feel bad. Got home tonight to water. Also got home to missing a gate latch. I discovered that and the huge chasm right outside my back gate when I let the dogs out. A little too quiet I thought so I went looking for them. Sure enough they were running around doing the poodle equivalent of born free through the paddock and the barn. Thank god the chickens were already up for the night or there might have been some carnage.

But now I have mounds of dirt, half a huge hole and a big ol' bulldozer hanging out in my driveway. Now how nice is your contractor when he calls you and asks if you want him to spread your very very nice topsoil on your yard instead of trying to dump it?!

I will try for some more "in process" pictures tomorrow.

Nice thing is that kids and dogs just don't notice any inconveniences which makes it easier for mama to ignore them as well.

No comments: